Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A birthday, an island, abundant sunshine and tree frogs

A good friend and I took a long weekend which had been planned and celebrated my birthday by leaving the country for a few days. We desperately needed a break from work and needed to recharge our batteries. We had never been to this small country before and were delighted with the weather, scenic views, abundant sunshine, great food, great drinks.  We celebrated with a bottle of champagne on my birthday. We spent hours touring this country.

I had no issues with my cochlear implant or going through security. Another milestone. I was glad that I could travel with my sound processor, my travel case containing the rechargeable battery charger with the interchangeable plugs without issues. I had a few challenging moments in noisy restaurants but nothing like my hearing aid days. I'm progressing nicely, I think. My confidence in using the sound processor is getting better.  I'm not afraid to experiment with the settings and try different things.

I heard what I thought were birds chirping. My friend said the chirping was actually tree frogs going, "Beep"! and replicated the sound for me.  After my friend did that, I focused on the sound and listened.  The tree frogs sounded just like my friend described to me.

It was a fun long weekend, with lots of laughter, good times, and much needed relaxation. We spent our last night relaxing in the hotel pools - first a chlorinated pool and then a saltwater pool. I liked the saltwater pool best.  The water was warm in the evening, and really relaxing. I reluctantly returned to work on Tuesday.

Hearing is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment