Sunday, May 13, 2012

Distinguishing Bird Calls

I can now distinguish between the bird calls of a Cardinal, a Blue Jay and a Robin.  One afternoon I had just finished mowing the grass.  I heard this rather persistent bird from my neighbor's tree. It was pretty loud.  I saw a flash of blue and white and knew that the bird call came from a Blue Jay. 

Another afternoon I saw a male robin in my neighbor's front yard.  I went inside to drop my mail inside my townhouse, and then came back outside to watch the Robin and see what he would do.  He opened his beak and started calling. I just stood there, watching and listening.

I never get tired of listening to the birds. This is my second spring of hearing with a cochlear implant in my left ear, and my first with my right ear.

It has been an insanely busy month, both with work and weekend activities. Yesterday I ran into two alumni from deaf school days who I had not seen in years. It was good to see them and say hello and catch up on life. I told them I was now bilateral and had my second CI implanted in February.

A week ago Sunday I attended a baseball game of a minor league baseball team.  What was cool about the event, is that there is a section of the stadium where you can bring your dogs with you. I don't have any pets at the moment, but animals sense I am a animal lover.  I got adopted by a standard Yorkie who decided its owner wasn't paying enough attention and climbed into my lap and happily settled down. It was fun to listen to the sounds of baseball and enjoy the company of people and the dogs.

My world is indeed noisy.

Being bilateral and hearing with two cochlear implants is such a gift! 

No comments:

Post a Comment