Monday, August 20, 2012

Misinformation, The dangers of Social Media and Cochlear Implants

Last night I came across a posting from someone from deaf school days.  This person had posted this picture of an x-ray of a human head.  There was an implant and a cochlear processor, and the picture depicted someone in the throes of a horrible headache - a migraine.  Beneath the picture was the caption, "Cochlear Implants Can Be Dangerous."  Almost immediately, this posting generated a lot of nervous responses, all based on half-truths, inaccuracies, and misinformation.  There were those who posted back, saying that they knew of individuals with cochlear implants whose surgeries were all successful.

One person commented you can't get an x-ray with a cochlear implant.  Another said, if you have dizzy spells and headaches, you can't get a cochlear implant.  Still another person said, I don't want to see someone in that much pain. Yet another individual proclaimed hearing aids "safer" than cochlear implants.

Here's what I DON'T MISS about Hearing Aids. Feedback. Pressure sores from ill-fitting earmolds. Itchy Ears!  Ear Wax! Cleaning earmolds!

The individual who posted the picture also told horror stories about friends who this person knew suffered adverse effects from cochlear implants.  For a person who claimed NOT to be "against cochlear implants," I noted with some amusement, that this person chose not to tell the other side of the story.  This person and I personally know three other individuals from deaf school days and who are alumni of this school for the deaf we attended years ago.  Three alumni of this school chose to get cochlear implants.  The surgery was successful, and, these three individuals have no regrets about their decision to undergo cochlear implantation.  In fact, one of the individuals and I met again at a convention and shared a hotel room during our stay.  This person did not appear to have suffered any long-lasting "ill-effects," from the cochlear implant surgery.

Yes, there are failures.  Yes, there are those individuals who, for some unforeseen reason or another, the cochlear implant surgery and usage of a cochlear implant, did not work out. There are those individuals where there was implant failure.  The implant was removed surgically and a new implant surgically implanted.  Out of eight "failures" out of 28,000 cochlear implant surgeries performed in 2010, (using the CI implant I chose), all eight were reimplanted successfully. The reimplantation surgery required one week's recuperation.

This never-ending discussion about the pros and cons of cochlear implants, made me think about the early days of heart transplants and open heart surgery.  For those of us who are old enough to remember, there were a lot of very sick, brave individuals who died on the operating table for a chance to live a healthy life for a few hours, days, weeks even, with a artificial heart, or a real one.

Today, heart transplants and open heart surgery is commonplace.  You don't usually have people running around saying, OMG! Heart transplants and/or open heart surgery can kill you! 

Well, yes it can.  There is risk involved in ANY type of surgery, INCLUDING heart transplants, open heart surgery, dental surgery, and yes, cochlear implants.

I can definitely tell you for every story of a "failed" cochlear implant, I can introduce you to at least 25 individuals who have had successful cochlear implant surgery and are enjoying the benefits of cochlear implants.

My vestibular migraines started long before I ever had cochlear implant surgery.  I started having headaches before it would rain, starting at about age 11. The headaches were either weather related and/or hormone related.  I had not had a migraine since 2002 when I was being evaluated for cochlear implant surgery.  As I have gotten older, I thought I had "outgrown" the migraines.  The imbalance issues and vertigo got worse over time, due to the effects of Streptomycin given to me at birth.  As my deafness worsened, so did the imbalance issues.  I have always been clumsy, due to the deafness.

I found out very recently, that the vestibular migraine episodes (minus the headaches but not the vestibular symptoms) were again hormonally and weather related.  As my right ear adjusts to the cochlear implant and subsequent mappings, I am confident that my left ear and my right ear will be what I call "balanced." I have had two bad episodes of vestibular migraines four months apart.  I do not have headaches, dizziness or vertigo every single day.  Far from it.

NEWSFLASH.  By the time I was evaluated for cochlear implants, I tested within the limits of the audiometer.  I have been profoundly deaf for YEARS.  Hearing Aids were no longer helping me, and I had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to GAIN by getting a cochlear implant. I now have two, one for each ear.

I was absolutely blessed in that I had both cochlear implant surgeries done at a hospital that has consistently ranked #1 in U.S. News and World Report for cochlear implant surgery.  I was even more blessed to have a surgeon who is internationally famous for his expertise in his speciality.  This talented surgeon did both my cochlear implant surgeries.

There are very competent surgeons and hospitals all over the United States and abroad who have successfully performed hundreds, if not thousands of cochlear implant surgeries. I have met many of the cochlear implant recipients.

That said, there is a reason why a patient being evaluated for cochlear implant surgery undergoes rigorous screening. You may have a psychological or psychiatric evaluation to determine your readiness for cochlear implant surgery.  I did not have this evaluation.  Not all hospital protocols are the same.  I had labwork, a CT scan.  Some require MRI's.  I had an extensive medical history taken, and audiograms done.  I also had a pneumonovax vaccine prior to surgery.  The hospital which performed my CI surgeries will not do the surgery until you present them with a vaccination certificate which certifies that you have had the pneumonovax vaccine.  You are told of the risks of cochlear implant surgery.  Depending on one's hearing history, you are also told the time frame it will take you to get used to the cochlear implants. The medical/surgical team has a staff meeting and they determine your readiness for cochlear implant surgery.  Then you are notified of a surgery date.

As for "pain," any pain I had after surgery was well managed with prescribed pain medications.  At no time was I ever in excruciating pain.  Ever.

Before I took my own journey in learning to hear with cochlear implants, I talked with individuals who were successful cochlear implant recipients.  One was late-deafened as an adult.  Still another person was born deaf. 

For those of you who are tempted to take social media postings such as
the proclamation that "Cochlear Implants can be Dangerous," as the gospel truth, take what is said on-line with a grain of salt.  Do your own research.  Talk to people who have received cochlear implants.  Talk to doctors. Talk to organizations for people with hearing loss.

Someone who I have come to consider a dear friend, said recently to another person who recently had cochlear implant surgery and is awaiting activation along with a relative who fears the implant won't work:  "No one can steal your joy unless you allow them to." This person was saying be joyful about your decision to get a cochlear implant and don't allow your relative to spoil your joy.  Well Said.

At times I have behaved like a child opening presents on Christmas Morning with unrestrained glee.  For years, I've been jealous of hearing people who could talk on a smartphone, listen to music on an ipod or an MP3 player. 

I now have my own!  It is a lot of FUN listening to music on an ipod nano!
I'm learning to talk on a smartphone.  I have had three conversations on it and am pretty sure I got most of the conversation!

I often times think back to my Activation Day in November, 2010, and just
laugh.

I have SO come a long way, baby! WHOO HOO!

CARPE DIEM! One Hearing Day At a Time!!

Hearing with two cochlear implants absolutely ROCKS. 

I had nothing to lose by taking this journey and everything to GAIN.  Thank You, God!  Would I do this again?  YES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment