Monday, November 15, 2010

More sounds in bits and pieces

Today I went to the dentist to finish up some dental work which had been postponed because of the cochlear implant surgery. I heard that drill whine for the first time. It did not bother me, but I now understand why people don't like going to the dentist.  I don't like getting those shots in my mouth. THAT has always bothered me.

After I finished my dental appointment, I returned to my car and put in Nelly Furtado's CD "Loose," just to see what I would hear. It did not sound familiar to me post-implant, but I could hear the percussive instrumentation and rhythm. I had the CD on at a lower volume, probably to the relief of my fellow drivers on the road.  When wearing hearing aids, I'd crank up the music.  Okay, it's going to take some time before my favorite CD's sound like "music" to me again.  I get that.

I had no problems post-implant recognizing the rhythm of any music when I got activated five days ago. The music just sounds different and I can't yet hear or understand the lyrics.

When I returned home, I started sweeping up leaves in the back patio. That was a slightly different sound from raking leaves yesterday. 

I also heard a plane flying overhead toward the airport which I recognized immediately. The only difference between hearing a plane post-implant and before with hearing aids, is the fact that I am probably hearing the plane at normal volume instead of louder volume.

I am glad I finished what yard work I did today. I bagged four 30 gallon bags of leaves. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and the day after.  Will I "hear" the pitter-patter of rain? I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment