Thursday, November 4, 2010

Some Progress

I think the Woozies are finally starting to go away. The only way I can describe this feeling is this. If you have ever drank an alcoholic beverage on a totally empty stomach and experienced a buzz, felt a little unsteady on your feet, that is sort of what the Woozies have felt like for three weeks. Granted, the "Woozies" didn't officially start until October 15th (that was my worst day), the feeling of being unsteady on your feet just makes me more cautious.

I now have three weeks worth of growth above my left ear, AND (Drumroll) the stitches have finally dissolved!  I have managed to get something accomplished while recuperating from surgery, and that was to do about three weeks worth of laundry. I stripped my bed and put on warmer sheets and my electric blanket last week. I still have a cold intolerance problem. I do not think it is the anesthesia at this point. Even before the cochlear implantation surgery, I have always hated being cold. It has been a chilly, wet, raw, rainy day and the temperatures didn't rise much above 52 degrees all day. I only went outside once, and that was to retrieve my mail. I figured out where the implant is located on my head. There IS a slight "bump," a lot like a bruise type bump, but a really teensy one. That doesn't bother me in the least.  You cannot see the healing incision, at least I can't see it. When a friend came over Monday night, she said the incision is behind my left ear, kind of like a slant type incision.  

Activation Day isn't that far away. I am getting curious as to what I will "hear" once the implant is turned on.  The tinnitus is also quieting down.  That is really interesting because pre-surgery, the tinnitus was really bad and in my opinion, worse. Roaring, hissing, hooting noises. Now the tinnitus is to me, like white noise. As I am not hearing anything in my left ear post-surgery, my right ear, which I still wear a hearing aid in that particular ear, has "taken over" for my left ear. I wonder if the cochlear implant, once activated, will do the same thing for both my ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment