Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Noisy February

I hear more environmental sounds. The sound of my shoes squishing over saturated wet ground. My boots crunching over snow. Outside construction noises as I work from my office window. People walking and talking outside in the corridor of my office with the door closed. If it is quiet, I can hear my co-worker's phone ringing in the next office. I hear the rustling of paper.

 I listen to the radio as I drive. I can hear snatches of words. Speech and lyrics are still challenging. It depends on who I am talking/listening to.  I am not at the point where I can talk on the telephone or cell phone without captions.  Lipreading and listening simultaneously definitely helps.

I had my nails and a pedicure done this weekend. I could hear the water swirling around in the pedicure chair. I could hear the nail technician's tools as she worked, the clipping of the nail clippers, the sound of the nail buffer brushing over my toenails and nails.

I can now hear some things drop, depending on what is dropped.  Before I got my left ear implanted with a cochlear implant, if I dropped anything, a hearing person would call it to my attention.

The Grammy Awards are on television tonight. Another opportunity to hear some singing, along with lipreading the singers! 

Enjoy Valentine's Day tomorrow.  As for me, I'll continue to enjoy experiencing the gift of hearing with my cochlear implant. I am still stunned every night when I take off my sound processor at night, just how deaf I am.  I am grateful that deaf babies and young deaf children now have the option to be implanted with cochlear implants now.  They have opportunities that were not available to me at that age. 

Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment