Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmastime Reflections

I spent Christmas with my younger sister and her family. One year and two months since I received a cochlear implant, her house was definitely noisier than I remember it.  Most of the kids got techie gadgets, so there were all kinds of beeps, clicks, whistles, all sorts of noises.
We went to church Christmas Eve. It was a small gathering - a lot of people traveled out of town for the holidays.

I had quality conversations with my nieces and nephews. Conversations flowed easily.  My sister only had to tell me once that I misunderstood a child's conversation. That was a first.
My sister automatically turned her head to me as she was driving.  I had to remind her I could hear her and could understand the conversation. 

She also noticed that I don't talk as loudly as I used to (smile) and that my speech has improved along with my pronunciation of words.  I could carry on a conversation in a noisy environment.

 look back at where I was 18 months ago and it is humbling to think of the huge change a cochlear implant has made in my life.  Hearing is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment