Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hearing with a CI is still a process

It is the Christmas season once again. The Salvation Army Bell ringers were outside the grocery store ringing the bell.  I could hear that bell from several feet away as I walked toward the store. I can still hear the grocery carts coming around an aisle and no, no collisions!

I also did some badly needed yard work in preparation for the winter.  I cleared out the flower beds of debris, leaves, weeds and put down super fine mulch. I could hear birds but could not tell what kind of bird was calling. It wasn't a cardinal, that's for sure.  I definitely know what a cardinal sounds like.

I have no issues recognizing music. Understanding singing on a CD, the radio is still a challenge. Speech discrimination without the aid of captioning is dicey. My brain has learned to tune out certain background noise.

My sound processor goes on just before I leave for work in the morning. 

I am still amazed at how deaf I am when I take the sound processor off at night and recharge the battery.

I am still a deaf person with a cochlear implant. But how that cochlear implant has changed my world. Big time!

Hearing is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment