Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Club and a Heavy Metal Band

Well, all work and no play made me pretty cranky, so a weekend ago a friend and I got in her rental SUV and got out of town. We headed south and about seven hours later arrived at our destination.  We checked into the hotel, freshened up, and headed for the club.  This was my first time hearing any kind of a band "live," bilaterally, with two cochlear implants instead of one.

As in days past, my friend lip-synched the band lyrics for me.  It was loud, but the cochlear implant processors adjusted for that.  I knew the music was loud because the floor and walls were vibrating.  We were near the bar, sitting at a table way in the back away from the band, and I could still hear them.  In between sets I could talk to my friend and heard everything she said in spite of the noise, chatter and people moving about.

I could hear the lyrics, but didn't understand them - but I knew the music and recognized the music first.  I tried an experiment - I took the cochlear processors off and put them on the table to see what I could hear, if anything.
Well, I don't think I am totally deaf, because I could hear the drum set.  That started another conversation - my friend thinks I heard vibrations rather than "sound." 

Still, it was an enjoyable experience, loudness and all. Great bartender and great cranberry and vodka drinks.  I wasn't the designated driver. 

We turned into bed around 2AM and then spent most of the next day driving back home and chatting as my friend drove.

Hearing with two cochlear implants is such a blessing, even with a Heavy Metal Band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment