Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Smart phone version of climbing Mount Everest

My captioned phone at work is out of commission and needs replacing.  I needed to call a doctor's office to confirm an appointment I had for this Friday.  I had my audiologist remove the software program which allows a person to use the telephone and block out all sound, including your own voice.  For Hearing Aid users, they may have a microphone-t-switch that allows for more clarity of sound and speech over the phone.  I have a iPhone 4S with a voice and data plan.  I had thought the phone was incompatible with my cochlear implant processor until someone told me just have the audiologist remove the t-coil program and it will eliminate any interference like buzzing, crackling sounds or electromagnetic interference. I did that.  I wasn't using the program anyway.

Well, I got brave and decided I would TRY calling the doctor's office and confirming that appointment.

I took a deep breath and dialed my cell phone. I had no trouble understanding the menu prompts and responded appropriately.  I gave the receptionist my name and pertinent information.  She realized that Friday was Good Friday, and the office would be closed.  April was busy, but I was able to schedule a follow up visit for May 1st.  We had no problems understanding each other and I was able to hear and understand the entire conversation.

For someone who has no hearing memory aside from what I remember hearing with hearing aids, and who has been deaf since age 2 1/2, I not only felt victorious, I felt as if I had climbed the equivalent of Mount Everest, Smartphone style.

This is HUGE.  I never thought in my lifetime that I would be hearing on a cell phone, let alone have a coherent conversation on a smartphone!

It has been two years and five months since I was implanted in my left ear, and a year and one month since I was implanted in my right ear.

I also met my cousins for lunch who are in town for Spring Break.  We had lunch at the Hard Rock Café, and I had no trouble understanding the woman who waited on our table or the Hard Rock Café staff.  My cousins and I had a good lunch and a good visit!

It really IS a brain thing.  Absolutely!  Hearing bilaterally with two cochlear implant processors is truly a blessing.

So here's to Easter Joy, Blessings and rejoicing that I had my first smartphone conversation without captions with someone who I wasn't sure I'd understand speech!

AMAZING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment