Sunday, September 12, 2010

Communication Issues, Sunday, September 12, 2010

Well, I went out to the car this morning, and the car again did not start.  I absolutely, positively HAVE to be at work tomorrow.  I belong to Triple A, so I went on-line to see what options I had.  Much to my delight, I discovered Triple A has a mobile battery service. They will come out to your house, or wherever you are, test the old battery, remove it, and install a new one.  I thought that was a better deal than having the car towed, taken to the dealership, having the car looked at, only to discover it was just the battery and using up leave.  I was 99.9% sure it was the battery, because it was the original car battery.  I also had the car serviced recently, and I had asked specifically about the battery, did it need to be replaced.  They said no, the battery was okay, it just needed cleaning.

Well, a month and a half later after having the car serviced at the dealership, the battery dies on me. That original car battery lasted just past six years, so yeah, I was pushing it.

I called Triple A, using my CapTel phone, and explained the situation.  They said yes indeed they could send someone WITHIN THE HOUR. They asked for my cell phone number, and I said I am hearing impaired and cannot hear on a cell phone. I gave them my landline phone number.

The phone rang when I had my back turned, and I could hear the answering machine talking. I looked on my Caller ID and saw it was a wireless caller. I said that's probably Triple A, and I called the number. It was indeed the Triple A contractor and he said he was right outside.  I didn't see his truck pull up because of my crape myrtle tree.  I said I am glad you are here, I'll be right outside. I grabbed my car keys, my Triple A card , a credit card and met him outside.

I explained the problem and he had no problems understanding me. He proceeded to test the battery, and sure enough, it was the battery. He removed the old battery, got a new battery from the truck, and installed the new battery for me. I filled out all the information on the clipboard and he took my credit card information down and called it in. $121.00 later, he got inside the car, turned the key, and the car started immediately.  Problem solved.

Well, that started me thinking about communication issues.  This is a hearing world.  If there ever was an argument for oral education, spoken speech and a cochlear implant, my car battery situation is a perfect example.

What do deaf people do whose first language is ASL (American Sign Language)?  My guess is, they get a pencil and paper, get a hearing neighbor, a hearing spouse, or hearing kids to speak for them. Whoever interprets, still has to know ASL.

A family friend, who is originally from South America and has been in this country for decades, said when she came to the United States with her husband, she went to college with my mother. The friend pointed out that she still had to learn English - and to be fluent in the language so that she didn't have to rely on an interpreter to translate from Spanish into English.  My mother helped her with English, the friend in turn helped my mother with physics.

I have no objection to Sign Language providing one's first language is English. I recognize basic signs.  I failed miserably at fingerspelling. I am not fluent in ASL.  I got a C in Sign Language in college, which greatly amused my parents.

There are also deaf people who are lousy lipreaders and are not able to speak English coherently.  I recognize that. For those individuals, ASL is probably the better option for them.

An oral education, speech and lip-reading definitely puts you on a better playing field with hearing people. I also noticed that a lot of deaf individuals who come from deaf families or whose first language is ASL have had problems either getting jobs or staying employed. The same has sadly been true of some oral deaf adults due to the terrible recession we are in.  No one is immune.

Look at the job announcements.  Most all of them require literacy, being able to speak orally, and to communicate effectively in writing.

Employers have complained that while deaf people may have college degrees, there are those who cannot compose a literate sentence or e-mail.  Hearing Society feels that traditional deaf schools have failed a lot of deaf people and rendered graduates who are virtually unemployable. There are some deaf people who feel that traditional deaf schools have also failed them.

I read a comment recently some months ago from someone who posted a comment online on CNN. He was someone whose first language was ASL, and had been employed as in a technical position with a phone company.  He complained about not being able to find employment after having been laid off.  When I read his posting, it was easy for me to understand why.  He was functionally illiterate and his command of the English language was terrible. He complained that his disability payments were inadequate to support himself and his family. I'm quite sure he was having a hard time.

If one wanted to sign that he or she was going to the store, the ASL translation would literally be "I Store."  Here's a clue:  If  you see someone posting something like,"It wonderful," that person's first language is probably ASL, and that person is probably from a deaf community or deaf family.

I realize that not every deaf person has had the lucky breaks that I have had. I was really fortunate that my deafness was diagnosed early, that my parents sent me to a private school for the deaf in order to speak and lip-read, I was mainstreamed successfully into public schools, that I was able to use hearing aids for as long as I have.  I was also blessed in that I don't remember my life before becoming deaf, I was so young.  How traumatic for a hearing adult to lose one's hearing suddenly. 

We still have to ensure that cochlear implants are an affordable option for those who want it.  The cochlear implant companies will work with you to find sources of financing to afford a cochlear implant.

I am a person who just happens to be deaf.  My deafness is a part of me, but it has never defined who I am.  When Gallaudet University let go a woman named Jane Fernandez who had applied for candidacy for President of the University, there were sadly some deaf individuals who made her life miserable, saying that she signed like a three year old.  I felt so badly for her. There were even people who said Jane was not "deaf enough." Enough said.

30 more days until surgery.  Wow. So much to do and so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment