Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday, September 9, 2010

I have been thinking about my hearing deteriorating over time.  I no longer "hear" people pushing grocery carts down the aisle, hidden from my view.  I nearly collide with that customer, because I didn't "hear" him or her coming around the corner.

The same is true of my office building.  I nearly collide with someone coming around the corner, because I cannot "hear" them walking down the hall. This happens whether or not the corridor is carpeted or not, and WITH my behind-the-ear hearing aids on.

I don't hear computers "powering up."  I can't tell you how many starter motors in cars I have ruined or nearly ruined, because the engine was so quiet and I forget that the engine is running.
I feel the fax machine or the printer to see if it is indeed operating.

I still "startle" when someone comes into my office.  I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so I often wonder if that person thinks I'm aloof, rude, or ignoring whoever came into the room.

Dogs have different barks. Cats have different meows.  I cannot hear a cat meow at all unless it is caterwauling.  I have to pet the cat or feel its body to "hear" the cat purr.  My younger sister used to have this cat a few years ago that was getting on in years.  The poor cat would get lost in the house and then you'd hear this undgodly noise that sounded to me, like a cross between a very loud meow combined with howling.  Like this:  Mrrrrrroooooowl.  Mrrrrrrowwwwl. Once my sister or her husband located the cat and brought it into familar territory, only then would the cat calm down.

I wonder if meows and barks have different "flavors"?  One wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment