Friday, March 16, 2012

Cardinals and Murphy's Law

Today was one of those days which perfectly describes Murphy's Law.  If anything can go wrong, it will. I have been working from home while recuperating from surgery.  Yesterday I got a bill from the hospital which threw me for a loop when I saw one of the line item charges. Seeing that dollar figure on that bill did not make me feel good. I started out today in a bad mood and was having a pity party for myself big time.

All day today I battled allergies, sneezed, and had a dull headache. I took my blood pressure. I won't tell you what the reading was. I resolutely did my work, and resolutely pressed on. At lunch time I made myself a comfort food I haven't had in a long time - a grilled cheese sandwich made with low-fat swiss cheese and multigrain bread.  I looked out my kitchen window, slowly savoring this delicious sandwich and wishing the day was over.

Well, I think God took notice and He gently sent me a cardinal to get my priorities straight.

The female cardinal perched in my crape myrtle tree.  I put down my sandwich.  I watched for a bit to see what she would do.

To my surprise, when she opened her beak in bird song, I was startled to hear a rhythm in her bird song.  "THAT SOUND HAS A PATTERN TO IT"!  It was amazing.  For the first time in my life, I actually heard bird song that had a rhythm to it.  I knew it was coming from that bird because I was watching her beak and her throat pulsing in bird song. 

That made my day.  REALLY made my day.

Later, after work, I decided to make some phone calls and get to the bottom of the billing issue. I found out after talking with the insurance company that the hospital had billed both the insurance company and me for that particular sum of money. I was reassured the insurance company would process the claim.

My headache slowly went away.  I was grateful that the billing issue was resolved and even more grateful for the cardinal's birdsong.

So Murphy's Law today turned out to be a dud, and I survived today.

Hearing is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment