Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Surround Sound At Last

I went to the Cochlear Clinic today.  My audiologist took my back-up processor and programmed it for my right ear. I ordered two waterproof processors as back ups - I will be able to wear them in a swimming pool, at a water park, and the waterproof processors can be worn OFF the ears, and it runs on triple A batteries!  Good thing to have in case of a power outage.  How cool is that?

Activation Day with my second CI, for my right ear was a success. I recognized speech right away, it sounded a bit echoey, but when I think of when I was first activated a year and four months ago, sounds are not wild and crazy.  It is a little on the loud side, and I go back for another mapping Thursday.

Driving home was a lot less nerve wracking now that I can hear traffic noises out of both ears.

Lyrics still sound somewhat scratchy, but I can recognize snatches of singing, not just a word here and there. Music is recognizable. I still recognize music better than lyrics.  My first errand was to the Apple store.  I am now the proud owner of a i-pod nano.  That to me is just unreal. I can now use an i-pod nano.  My next stop was to the Home Depot store, to get some clear tubing so I can customize my Klipsch ear buds to my processors and listen to the radio without distracting background noise. I can listen to National Public Radio and practice Audio Verbal Therapy (AVT) at work while I am doing my own work at the computer at work.

I feel more balanced now that I have both CI's activated. My audiologist wants me to listen only with the right cochlear processor for a few hours a day.  I think I will do that at home so that I am more aware of sounds without distractions.

How fitting it is that I was activated with my second CI before Easter. I am so thankful for my surgeon's gift, that he was able to successfully implant cochlear implants in my ears. The fact that I can hear birds trilling while walking outside is still stunning to me.

I went to the grocery store.  It wasn't quiet. It was crowded and busy, and I wondered, why are there so many people at the grocery store early in the afternoon?  Then I realized that schools are out for spring break - at least where I live.

I have a feeling that my right ear will quickly adapt to hearing with a cochlear implant.

I was always going to get a cochlear implant someday. Now I have two cochlear implants and can now hear out of both ears. I think after a few months and some "tweaking" sessions, I will feel as if I am hearing in technicolor, stereo and high definition in both ears.

Surround sound at last. I am so relieved- single sided deafness is not something I enjoyed while waiting to get the second cochlear implant. I am still a deaf person with two cochlear implants, but my world just got a little noisier.

I am going to make it a point to get up early enough in the mornings on weekends so I can listen to the sounds of Spring.

Bring on the bird choruses, I won't find that annoying or distracting. The sounds of nature and birds are God's symphony.  The best part of it is, I can have a front row seat everyday and hear the birdsong for free!

So here's to surround sound, hope and Easter Joy.

Hearing with two cochlear implants is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment