Friday, October 1, 2010

A Birthday, Windchimes and Hearing Dreams

It has been awhile since my last posting.  In eleven days I will have my cochlear implant surgery, and I have been insanely busy trying to wrap things up at work, home.  There are still errands to run.  I recently ran an errand at a local Barnes and Noble store, and my Member Card was no longer being used, even though I had an active membership. I needed the new Member card.

I couldn't hear or understand the store clerk verifying my information, and as soon as I opened my mouth, he figured out I had difficulty hearing. He didn't raise his voice.  He did the next worst thing: grimaced and exaggerated his speech. That's a huge no-no in my book. Don't exaggerate your speech. Don't cover your mouth, don't mumble. If hearing people would remember to do these three things, I'd be fine.

Well, we got through that verbal exchange, and I had to remind myself, well, at least I didn't have to write him a message on paper and pen, or have a hearing person translate spoken speech into ASL for me.

So, when I am activated post-implant, will everybody's voices sound like they are talking underwater, robotic, sound like chipmunks, or have soprano voices?  Well, there's only one way to find out!

I had a birthday last month.  My older sister and her son mailed me a rather unusual present: Wind chimes.  I would have never even thought of such a birthday gift, and I'm glad that my sister was creative enough to think of it.  They wrote me a note saying they were sorry I couldn't hear the wind chimes just yet, but after Activation Day they hoped I would hear the wind chimes.

I have been having, of late, what I call "Hearing Dreams." The Hearing Dreams have been occurring for quite some time - months.  It is amazing what you dream about "hearing."

The gift of the wind chimes brought back more "hearing" memories in recent dreams:  Listening to a Calliope playing on a steamboat while cruising downriver; hearing Cathedral bells ringing; falling asleep on the train, the chugging of the locomotive wheels as my lullaby; hearing a bell choir at church during college days. Listening to music boxes tinkling an individual melody.  Hearing organ pipes playing, and feeling the vibration of the church organ through the wooden floor at my feet. Attending a orchestra symphony with my father, listening to the various instruments.; listening to an electric flute being played at a rock concert, the memory of muffled drums and Taps being played at my father's funeral during a hot, spring day, so long ago. Listening to a Muslim cleric call the faithful to prayer during a visit to the Muslim Quarter in Israel on a visit with my at mother and our church, some fifteen years ago.

My "hearing dreams" don't really have a plot.  It is more of a Kaleidoscopic variety - the dream version of a slide show with sound, and quite vivid. That's the only way I can explain it. Sometimes I hate waking up to reality, I'd like to dream some more "hearing dreams."

I wonder how long it will take after activation, to coherently "hear" spoken speech on the radio, recognize lyrics on CD's?  With the leaves beginning to fall, what will rustling leaves sound like?  Will I hear wind blowing? What will raindrops on my roof sound like?

No comments:

Post a Comment