Saturday, October 16, 2010

A bit of a setback

Yesterday was challenging.  For the first time post-surgery, I woke up with a real sense of feeling imbalanced and very off kilter.  I also had not taken a shower, removed the protective cap or cleaned my ear. After taking my medicine and eating breakfast, I went back to bed to sleep it off. I took two naps yesterday.I removed the protective covering, cleaned my ear. I just had to do everything with caution, methodically, slowly, and without making any sudden moves.

The left side of my head looks like an incomplete buzz cut, like somebody shaved a good four to six inches above my ear.  I may have to go with a punk rock do or a pixie type style when I do visit my hairdresser next month, depending on how much of my hair grows back. I commented on the incomplete buzz cut to an adventuresome friend of mine.  She said I should go ahead and do an incomplete buzz cut to the OTHER side of my head, and remarked that I would be "trendsetting," which made me laugh.

My left earlobe is encased in a violet- colored purple bruise. I have tiny bruising around my left eye.  The rest of my hair is pinned up in one of those hair jaw clips and away from my left ear.

Cleaning my ear was also a challenge. The shower helped loosen the caked dried blood inside my ear and I have clean hair for the first time in five days. I have had to fight temptation to blow my nose.  I have to wipe my nose because the doctors don't want a middle ear infection or anything else. No more protective cap or dressings. Just anti-bacterial ointment.  I have to clean the incision site twice a day. I feel bare and vulnerable without that protective cap. 

What works is mixing 1/2 sodium chloride and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, pouring it in this plastic bottle, then holding a small basin (your hospital puke bowl) underneath the earlobe. I then carefully pour the solution behind the ear, the solution drains into the basin. I pour the basin contents into the sink. I then pat the incision area dry with a sterile pad.  Next, I take one of those long sterile cotton swab applicators and apply the ointment.

I am slowly getting back energy.  The biggest issues I have right now are wooziness, imbalance, and ringing in the ears.  The balance issues are a lot better than they were yesterday.

I am glad I have been eating high fiber foods.  The high fiber finally worked and I was finally able to go to the bathroom and not just pass gas.  The back ache is also gone. I must have been somewhat constipated.

I am on antibiotics. I asked everyone not to visit until after I finish antibiotics.  That should be mid-week next week.

I can fully yawn without my jaw hurting.  I still have to sleep as if on an incline for two weeks.  No heavy lifting for two weeks.

It is now four days post surgery. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment