Thursday, October 21, 2010

Slow but Steady

The "Woozies" seem to be slowly diminishing. The dizziness is a bit different than prior episodes I ever had pre-surgery, or at any other time. The dizziness isn't the over the head slow spinning type variety.  It is more of a side by side, up and down type dizziness. That's the difference.

My biggest fear pre-surgery, was that the wooziness, dizziness, vertigo would be so debilitating that I couldn't function, that I would have to be helped out of bed, assisted in using the toilet, getting dressed, etc.

Nope. None of that. It really wasn't anything that I couldn't handle. Staying on the first floor of my home lasted a day post-surgery. I was pretty much able to use the stairs and go upstairs and downstairs.  I didn't venture downstairs to the basement until last Friday, when I took my first shower post-surgery. No signs of infection or middle ear infection, and my ear seems to be healing quite nicely.

I will take another shower shortly, a good one, this time. My hair is so greasy, it feels like I coated it in oil or something. The tinnitus comes and goes. I am still not doing a whole lot of cooking. I am still using paper and plastic products, mainly so that I don't have heavy bags of trash.  I have been drinking a lot of herbal tea. One particular favorite is a tea from South Africa - Red Roobios Tea. It is very different and has a distinct flavor to it.  I am trying to eat and drink things with antioxidants in it. This tea is one of them. Stir in a teaspoon of raw organic honey, and you have yourself a delicious, comforting cup of hot tea.

I bought a lot of groceries pre-surgery and the only thing I'm lacking right now is stuff you get every week, like milk. I am going to use an on-line grocery delivery service, especially since I cannot drive.  Thank God for the Internet and credit cards, both of which have come in handy!

I don't even have cabin fever.  I have not been outside at all except to go to the mailbox and retrieve my mail. I can see why my new friends in the cochlear implant community have counseled me to be patient.

I did not anticipate having the "woozies," for nearly a week. I figured I would have the woozies for the first 48 hours and then the rest would be a slam dunk.  Ah, not quite.  Everyone who goes through cochlear implantation surgery has a unique experience.  While some of the symptoms post-surgery may be universal, you cannot predict the outcome for each and every person.  I still have some bruising beside my left eye, but it is healing nicely. No complaints. I am very grateful that things have gone as well as they have, I really am. Shower time!

No comments:

Post a Comment